Saturday, August 24, 2013

Love found me. It’s clear to me that I have fallen into a whole new world filled with indescribable ecstasy. Before I get carried away, let me tell of my first encounter with love.
It was Friday night. I was planning to go out with a couple friends to get a quick dinner and then head over to Lestat’s Coffee House, a music venue where local talent performs in a vibrant and casual atmosphere. Aah, yes, there’s nothing more pleasing than listening to music with friends!I believe music has the ultimate power to create memories. Why not share these moments with your friends? I always look forward to these nights.
So my friends pick me up from the apartment and as I get in the car, I know tonight’s going to be a great night. The music is thumping and the energy is high. Yes, tonight’s going to be a great night. I can feel it.
After our dinner, we head over to Lestat’s. I have performed there a couple times. But tonight, I want to sit back, relax, and watch others sing their hearts out. It’s nice to see others feel that same thrill when they’re on stage. Seeing this, you already feel a deep connection with the performers. 
The night is clicking. People are performing songs, filling the room with different moods. Some are sentimental, some are entertaining, and some want to make you get up and dance. 
After an energetic song, the MC gets on stage. “Alright folks, we have our last performer. This is her first time performing here. Let’s give it up for Rachel Warner.” Everyone starts to clap. A figure emerges from the shadows and wow, this woman is stunning. I am glued to her crystal blue eyes. Her skin was light brown, with freckles scattered over her face like paint splattered onto a wall. She is a piece of art. She has this smile that is not only beautiful, but also friendly. What I find so special about this woman is the way she carries herself. She walks on stage with a straightforward yet innocent look. Many women I’ve met in the past are too confident, presenting themselves in a showcase manner. They want to impress others by showing how pretty they are. Rachel, however, is different. She is a natural beauty.  The selfless and independent look is in her eyes. I know deep down that she has thought to herself, “I’m pretty in my own way.” Yes, she is this, perfect in her own way, drawing me in even closer. My heart beats like never before.
She sits down and holds her guitar. Why! Guitar! We have similar interests! I can already imagine us singing and playing guitar together. She speaks to the mic, “Hello, I’ll be playing my favorite song. It’s ‘Yesterday’ by the Beatles.” I can tell from her voice that she has butterflies in her stomach. I know that feeling, because I get it every time I go on stage. It’s the best part. The day I don’t get that feeling is the day I’ll stop performing. I whisper to myself, “It’s okay Rachel. I’m here for you. Sing free like no one’s watching.” It feels like I’ve known her for so long. 
She takes a deep breath, pauses, and begins to strum. As the chords vibrate the floor, we hear her voice. I am already mesmerized. Her voice is graceful but also assertive, caressing but also strong, and resonant but also luxuriant. I am blown away. I hear my friend in the back say, “Woah, she has the voice of an angel, it’s like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.” I am high off her voice, levitating. Never in my life have I felt so in the moment. Those two minutes of her singing felt like ten minutes to me. As  her last note fades, people start to applaud, with loud whistles coming from the back. Transfixed by those moments in heaven with Rachel, I sit there with my eyes and mouth wide open.  Soon enough, I return from my dream state. I can’t keep my eyes off her. I am caught in her eyes. I whisper to myself, “Love has found me… I am in love.” 
People exit the venue as the MC concludes with a few words and thanks. Most go straight to the door, I go straight to Rachel. She is putting her guitar in her case, and I approach her in a determined yet gentle manner. Mixed thoughts and emotions stream through me. I am nervous, but also excited.
“Hello there,” I say.
“Oh, hello there,” she responds, looking up.
“I just wanted to say you touched my heart with that beautiful voice and song of yours. Thank you.”
With a surprised smile, she looks into my eyes and says, “Wow. Well, thank you. Thank you very much. I’ve never received such a genuine and kind compliment.” She then stands up, still looking at me. “What’s your name?”
I kiss her hand, “Henry. Henry Neuer. Pleasure.”
“Pleasure as well.”
“I would love talk to you. Can I buy you a cup of coffee?”
“Sounds lovely.”
I tell my friends I will catch them later. We walk to the Coffee Shop. We sit down and talk, nursing our coffee. I learn many things about her. She’s an aspiring artist, and she plays guitar in her free time. “Guitar calms me down. It’s so therapeutic. It clears my mind and warms me up for my next art piece.” I find this fascinating, and I tell her about my own weekly ride up to Pier del Teatro where I play guitar in the open. There is a natural connection between us. Our eyes never drift away from each other; we listen closely and laugh easily. The chemistry is there. I feel it, and I know she does too. We are in the moment. 
Suddenly, Rachel’s phone rings. She answers the phone, “Hi honey.” She has a big smile on her face. She is on the phone for a few minutes, laughing and chuckling. I sit there, puzzled by the scene unfolding in front of me. Who is she talking to? My heart races faster and faster. She returns from her phone conversation, still smiling.
“Sorry about that. Now, what were we talking about?”
“Not a problem. Who were you talking to?” I ask.
“Oh, that was my husband, Richard.”
Richard, Husband. Rachel, Wife. Richard and Rachel, Husband and wife. These words run through my head. Is this real, or am I dreaming?




It’s awfully late, I need a break! I will reflect on this later. It’s best I get some sleep, if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment